Everything you need to know about Move-In Day at Anderson University
Move-in day is an exciting moment in your journey at Anderson University. This day marks a new chapter for you as you launch into your college career. We want to eliminate stress for you and your parents so you can soak up the sweet moments of the day. This page will equip you with the tools and information you need for a successful transition into campus housing. We can’t wait to welcome you home!
- Know what to expect: make sure you have reviewed our housing page for complete information about your residence hall and your room.
- Know the rules: review the packing list linked below so you know what is appropriate to pack.
- If you are able, we encourage you to only bring essentials. Start small, and if needed, you can always buy additional items or bring additional items from home after a break. If you haven’t already, start a packing list or use our recommended packing list.
- You will receive an email to your AU email inbox with a date and time for you to move in.
- We recommend packing in plastic storage bins. These are easy to carry and are great for extra storage, or are easy for parents/guardians to take back home. Label them with your name, residence hall, and room number for a breezy unloading process.
- Label everything you pack so that important items are easy to find!
- Label all your boxes and items with your name, residence hall, and room number so our move in team can bring them straight to your room.
- Make sure you don’t have a lot of loose items in your car. Everything should be in bags or wrapped up for easy unloading.
- Pack some snacks and water!
- Pack a small tool kit, including a rubber mallet and pliers, in case you need to loft a bed or put together furniture.
- Bring some extra cleaning supplies and trashbags to help with any mess that happens during the move in process.
- An easy way to unpack hanging clothes is to keep them on hangers and bundle them in trash bags with the hooks hanging out of the bag. On move-in day, use a broom or other pole to hang them on and carry them all inside at once!
- Need extra room in your car? Consider doing a drive-up order at Walmart or Target to pick up large items on move-in day! Or you can mail items directly to campus. Students will receive their box # and mailbox key when they go to the post office for the first time. You may use the following address until then:
Student First and Last Name
Anderson, SC 29621-4002
- Make sure your student has communicated with his/her roommate(s) beforehand so you are not duplicating large items and have agreed on the room layout and how you will share the space.
For more information on move-in day or other housing questions, please contact Residence Life at (864) 622-6011 or email email@example.com.
You will receive a specific move-in time from the Residence Life Office after your housing assignment is finalized.
We highly recommend that parents stay for the Matriculation Service and Archway Walk on Friday evening. These special traditions, which mark the beginning of a student’s journey at Anderson University, will serve as the culmination of each student’s move-in day and initiation as a member of the Trojan Family. For more information, click here.
We recommend that parents head home after the Archway Walk or if they are staying in a local hotel, they may choose drive home on Saturday.
No, our Move-in Crew will make unloading your car a breeze! We recommend only bringing a few people because residence hall rooms can get tight pretty quickly!
Our Move-in Crew will unload your entire car for you, and your RA will be available throughout the day if you need help moving furniture or lofting your bed.
No, our Move-in Crew will unload your entire car for you in record time!
Yes, we invite you to attend the Matriculation Service and Archway Walk on Friday evening. These special traditions, which mark the beginning of a student’s journey at Anderson University, will serve as the culmination of each student’s move-in day and initiation as a member of the Trojan Family. For more information, click here.
Please contact the Residence Life Office at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Yes, campus dining will available to students and guests during the following times:The Culinary Center | Thursday, August 17
The Culinary Center | Friday, August 18 – Saturday, August 19
Books & Beans
Yes, AU Outfitters will be open during the following times:
August 1-16 Monday – Friday: 9 am – 5 pm
August 17 and 18: 8:30 am – 5 pm
August 19: 9 am – 5 pm
August 21-25: 8:30 am – 6 pm
Loft kits are available in most rooms. Guardrails are not included in the loft kits. We suggest bringing a rubber mallet and pliers to loft the beds. Please ask your RA for instructions on how to loft or bunk your bed.
No, loft kits are a first-come, first-serve basis.
Due to summer camp occupancy, we cannot show individual rooms during the summer or prior to move-in weekend.
Students may refer to our What to Bring/What Not to Bring hand-out for suggestions on items that are recommended as well as items that are prohibited.
We suggest you wear cool, comfortable clothes and bring a small tool kit, cleaning supplies, snacks, plenty of water, and a change of clothes if you wish to change before the Matriculation Service and Archway Walk.
Residents should adhere to the following guidelines when decorating:
The use of Command Strips is discouraged due to the damages this causes to walls. Approved items include:
- Tacks/Small Nails
- Mounting putty
- Painter’s Tape
*Students should consult with their RA before utilizing any of the above-mentioned items.
While we cannot guarantee that you will be able to fit a futon in your room, many students who loft their beds and are creative with arranging furniture are able to create space for a futon. We recommend opting for a smaller size futon that is shorter than a twin xl bed in length.
Yes, you will be able to meet your student’s RA on Move-In Day.
Unfortunately, we don’t have much flexibility on the move-in time, but if you have a concern about your move-in time, please contact the Residence Life Office by phone 864-622-6011 or email email@example.com and we will do what we can to help.
We will not have community cleaning supplies available. All students should bring their own cleaning supplies.
There is no specific time limit, but if you have an afternoon move-in time, you will want to give yourself enough time to eat dinner prior to the matriculation service on Friday evening.
Yes! You will receive your box # and mailbox key when you go to the post office for the first time. You may use the following address until then:
Student First and Last Name
Anderson, SC 29621-4002